Thursday 18 December 2008

This is...

... a Fender Telecaster.


According to Wikipedia, "its simple yet effective design and revolutionary sound broke ground and set trends in electric guitar manufacturing and popular music. Introduced for national distribution as the Broadcaster in the autumn of 1950, it was the first guitar of its kind to be produced on a substantial scale. The Telecaster has been in continuous production in one form or another since its first incarnation, making it the world's oldest solid-body electric guitar".

This is not just a guitar. Since yesterday, it is MY guitar.
This is the present Mike bought for me a few months ago from an antiquities market somewhere in Ireland. He says it was a bargain. It is reconditioned and tuned. It's priceless.
This is the object that put me in a state of perplexity I can't get over ever since I saw it.
This is one of those bewildering and magnificent and overwhelming gestures my friends sometimes do to prove me once again how privileged I am to have them around me.

No comments: